Reading Time: 6 minutesBack patios and front porches are one of the most favourite spots of the house, especially during warmer months, offering endless hours of relaxation and fun. They can easily become your escape, with furniture that both complement the open-air activities of your likes and make the most of your outdoor space! Does the idea of dining alfresco sounds like music to your ears? Here are the best patio furniture ideas to make the dream be a part of your everyday life from now on!
1. Complete your Outdoor Living RoomCreate the ideal outdoor living room, with a weatherproof furniture set and enjoy fun times right next to the hearth. Make sure you choose the right outdoor fabric for your couch and place it close to an ottoman. Throw in some outdoor cushions and a couple of chairs, and get ready for long hours of relaxation and family get-togethers. Define the place with a durable area rug and complete the set some potted plants to bring an extra layer of comfort.
2. Go MinimalIt’s unbelievable how only a few pieces of patio furniture can transform the entire outdoor area of your house. You can easily create your own Zen garden and bring tranquillity into your life day-in day-out. For that, you will need to incorporate some rocks, maybe sand, water, and flowers to achieve the natural atmosphere required. As for furniture, just a simple low coffee table ( a pallet table is fantastic), and a few chairs (or a pallet sofa), beautifully matched with some vases, colourful pillows, and, perhaps, a woven area rug, are more than enough to give you the calming refuge of your dreams. For professional area rug cleaning in Toronto and Southern Ontario check out Love Your Rug – the best rug cleaners in Canada.
3. Waterproof FurnitureIf you have a pool, then you need proper poolside furniture and waterproof fabrics (e.g. Sunbrella fabric). They also need to be chlorine-proof, which is why furniture with a metal frame (or even better, all metal) is a safe option, given their resistance to elements, such as chlorine. Complete the set with lounge chairs (if you can find ones with wheels to make moving them easy, it’d be great!), and enjoy your beverage under the shade of your patio, or under the warm sun!
4. Furniture for Smaller PatiosEven if you lack space, your patio can still be look amazing and become your mind-soothing retreat, with the help of a round table and slim folding chairs that are comfortable and don’t take up much of your patio space. Perfect for creating an atmosphere for some conversation and long summer nights.
5. Built-in BenchYour backyard or patio can use additional seating and a built-in bench just ticks all the boxes. See this L-shaped bench in the photo, how it creates structure and allows for some privacy at the same time? Backed with a contemporary trellis it completes the picture quite perfectly. Contact Prestige Decor for perfectly fitted bench cushions for both indoor and outdoor applications. We have tons of waterproof fabrics for outdoor bench cushions. Now, if you want to kill two birds with one stone, you can install benches with storage spaces (e.g. lids) where you can hide away your equipment and outdoor kids toys. Tip: If you have space for some additional seating on the patio or porch, a low, streamlined table, and double-stacked chair cushions will elevate your outdoor dining experience and make you feel more intimate and warm.
6. Wheeled Patio FurnitureA table on solid casters and streamlined chaises are super easy to take everywhere you go and either enjoy the sun or the shade, depending on your mood at a given time. For the exact same reason (to have your furniture following you around), you can add wheels to any outdoor patio piece of furniture (a DIY project that requires no particular skills). Now, if you want something that you can control better, feel free to use casters that come with brakes.
7. Wicker Patio FurnitureWicker is known for its airy qualities. This versatile and lightweight material is made of sturdy vines and stems, carefully woven into complex patterns, and makes superb outdoor furniture. You can also find patio furniture made of synthetic wicker (made of rustproof aluminum framing and moisture-proof resins), which can stand up to weather (natural wicker can’t), although it’s slightly more expensive than natural wicker.
8. Patio Kitchen FurnitureTime to spruce up your patio and add something more than a grill. You can make your own outdoor fully fledged kitchen, with the same materials used for indoor kitchens, only extra durable so that they can withstand the elements. In the picture, you can see a lovely U-shaped patio kitchen, with seating, cabinetry, and a stone countertop that is so inviting and ready to become the go-to place to eat and congregate!
9. Cedar & Teak FurnitureCedar and its varieties (e.g. white cedar and red cedar) are famous for their resistance to insects and durability. If you treat your cedar furniture right, you will prevent them from weathering to silvery gray and have them looking like new for long. Teak, on the other hand, is another excellent material to use for patio furniture, especially poolside structures and furniture, mainly due to its water resistance and durability. Just make sure you protect your furniture from the weather with an annual sealer, paint, and stain. Always bear in mind that semi-gloss finishes don’t last as much as gloss finishes.
10. Cast Iron SeatingCast iron or wrought iron makes the perfect material for patio furniture. Their workability is excellent, and one can create fanciful forms (e.g. curved frames and latticework) that you can see in chairs and tables. You can paint it any colour you like (if you want). Since they come in classic black, but pay attention as it will rust if the finish is scratched. So, mind their painted finish and you will definitely be able to leave your cast iron patio furniture outdoors all year round. You can always increase the comfort level of cast iron chairs by having a cushion made. Our design consultants at Prestige Decor can help you design the perfect cushions for your outdoor furniture. Tip: If your metal outdoor patio pieces of furniture look rather dilapidated, revive then to their old glorious days with a rust-resistant, long-lasting spray. Once this is done, consider bringing a breeze of fresh air into your patio by updating your cushions for a complete makeover of your outdoors! Something Extra to Complete Perfection Create a Cozy Atmosphere! Ambiance is an important factor of your patio design and can create an intimate setting quick and easy. Just incorporate candles, and hanging lights, alongside flower arrangements and your patio has turned into a homey spot. If you use bright patterns and colours, too, as well as pillows and cushions, the result will be incredibly cuddly and warm.