Reading Time: 4 minutesColours play a huge part in the overall look of your home, and they help convey who you are to visitors. The colours you opt to use in your space can also majorly impact your overall mood and thoughts. With so much on the line, picking the perfect colour combination for your home, and especially your curtains can become overwhelming. Curtains are a dominant feature of any room, and they are one of the first things people notice when they walk into a space. The colour of your curtain has to be complementary to the other colours present in your home décor otherwise you run the risk of everything looking a little off. If you’re struggling with which curtain colour to choose, you’re in luck because today’s blog is all about how to choose curtain colours that suit your home!
Take Note of Dominant ColoursThe first step to selecting curtain colours that suit your home is taking note of the dominant colours already present in your space. Pay close attention to the colours of your floors, furniture and walls, as they will help you determine the colour that best suits your room. Consider the colour wheel and select colour combinations that are complementary to one another and suite the style that’s already present.
Decide What Role You Want Your Curtains To PlayThe next thing you want to do when choosing an appropriate curtain colour is to decide what exactly you want your curtains to do for your space. Do you want them to blend in with the rest of your décor, or would you rather draw attention to them and have them be the main focus of the room? In general, if the dominant colours in a room are bright, it’s a good idea to select curtains that are a neutral tone to create balance. If the décor in your room contains more neutral shades, choose a brighter colour to liven up the room.
Settle On A Mood You Want To CreateThe final determining factor of the colour you ultimately end up selecting is the mood you want to create in your space. Colours can significantly affect our lives, feelings, and overall mood, so ideally you want to pick a colour that matches what you want to feel when you walk into the space. Questioning the purpose behind the room, you’re decorating is an excellent place to start. Is it a space where you plan to entertain guests, enjoy time with family, or relax and unwind? Here’s how different colours affect the energy in a room:
- Red: This intense hue raises the overall energy of a room and stimulates desires and appetites. Its bold colour creates a strong impression and the warm tones in it can bring people together. As such, a dining room or living room is the best place to put red curtains.
- Orange: Orange is another colour that helps boost energy levels. It also creates a sense of comfort and can improve digestion, which makes it suitable for a kitchen or dining area.
- Yellow: This colour is known for communicating happiness, and it provides an uplifting and welcoming feeling. It is best suited to small spaces like halls or entryways.
- Blue: Blue is a calming colour that can slow down your heart rate, help with anxiety, and improve concentration. This relaxing hue is perfect for a bedroom or workspace.
- Green: This cool colour can bring a refreshing and cheerful feel to any space. It is easy on the eye and works well in pretty much any room with its comforting qualities.
- Purple: Lighter shades of purple have a calming effect and promote feelings of tenderness, which makes them ideal for a bedroom. Darker hues of this colour are associated with sophistication and luxury, making them well suited to dining rooms.