Reading Time: 4 minutesWhether it’s from a thrift store, an antique market, a family member or a storage closet, old furniture has an unmatched charm that can add a certain depth to any room. However, sometimes, home furnishings can deteriorate over time. You may think restoring furniture is an impossible task but it’s surprisingly easy to make the old look new again. Here are some techniques to update your most cherished belongings around your home:
Fresh Coat of Paint or VarnishIf your piece of furniture is made from wood, you can make it look new again with a fresh coat of paint. You could also use varnish to make the wood look as shiny as it was when it was first made. For a bold, modern look, paint it with whatever colours will blend in with the other design elements in the room. If you want to really add flair, use painters’ tape to add stripes or another unique geometric shapes. Another option, if you’re not totally confident with your painting abilities, is spray paint. You can use silver or gold spray paint to make your old furniture look metallic and expensive. Here is a fool-proof method for painting old wooden furniture.
- Clean the entire surface with house cleaner to ensure there is no dirt or grime. If there is any hardware that can be removed, unscrew it and put it aside.
- If there are any surface blemishes, fix them with either wood filler or super glue. Do not paint anything until this has dried.
- Sand the entire surface of the piece of furniture then wipe it down with a microfiber cloth to ensure all debris is gone.
- Once you’ve ensured all the surfaces are smooth, prime the wood with two coats of primer to be extra safe.
- After the primer is dry, you’re ready to paint. We also recommend two coats of paint but apply as many coats as necessary until you can’t see the wood underneath.
- Once the paint has dried, touch up any spots that may need a bit of extra colour then spray the surface with sealant. This sealant will protect the paint from stains or water damage. It can also add a matte or glossy finish if you purchase a special kind. Once everything is dry, re-screw the hardware back on.
Update the HardwareIf your piece of furniture has hardware like knobs or drawer pulls, either shine them or replace them. It’s fairly easy to make hardware look new again with the right polish and some elbow grease. If the hardware is beyond repair or you would just prefer an update, you can purchase new metallic or ceramic knobs and accents at any home goods store. Updating the hardware after you’ve already painted your wooden furniture will make it look brand new.
Contact Paper or WallpaperApplying contact paper or wallpaper is an easy solution to upgrade your old furniture. You can use this adhesive, decorative paper to line drawers of a dresser or resurface the top of a table. It’s important to make sure the area you’re applying the paper to has been cleaned and sanded. Go very slowly and use a flat plastic device like a ruler to flatten down the paper so there are no bubbles or other flaws. Several different textures can be replicated with contact paper like:
- Wood paneling